Monday 19 March 2012

My YA Confessions #1 - I've never read The Hunger Games

Yes, contain that shriek. I'm afraid it's time to 'fess up folks. With all the pandemonium surrounding the film everywhere I turn, I feel it is necessary to admit that I, Anna Scott, have never read The Hunger Games. Phew, I feel much better now. *wipes brow*

Yes, I'm sure there are many YA must-reads out there that many of us have never gotten around to picking up. Actually, I've just thought of ANOTHER major series that I haven't read that I won't mention here (although I have no desire to read the unmentionable one, as opposed to the overwhelming desire I have to read The Hunger Games).

Well the question I'm pondering now is WHEN to read it. Many a film viewing experience has been tarnished for me by reading the book beforehand. Sometimes it's the natural course of things (Harry Potter), but with the case of Submarine, the reading of the excellent source material did just slightly ruin my watching of the really-rather-good-but-nowhere-near-as-great-as-the-book adaptation.

Chances are I'm not going to get to see Hunger Games on the big screen (children, time, children blah blah blah), so I have a bit of time before a potential viewing opportunity materialises.

So, what do you reckon, read first or watch first?

Also, I'm think of making My YA Confessions a regular feature, as I find I have much I want to confess. Why not join me? You know you want to...

9 comments:

  1. I'm not shocked, I'm sure there are so many people who are going to see the movies and have no intention of reading the books. But, if I were you I would read the books before seeing the movie!

    It's been months since I read them and I'm going with low expectations so hopefully it won't be that bad, because usually movies based on books are a big flop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, will definitely read them first. I always think it's such a shame when they adapt a book and it completely ruins the viewing experience when it just doesn't live up to the source material. And in fact, as a film, it's not really that. Ok, maybe I'm thinking about this a little TOO much!

      Delete
  2. With Vegan YA Nerds on this.
    Also I love the idea of doing My YA Confessions regularly. Why don't you do it as a Meme? Kind of like the Story Siren hosting In My Mailbox, and The Broke and the Bookish do the Top Ten Tuesday. It's a really neat idea. You could add the linky function to your site and have everyone congregate here to list their blog for a massive blog hop that allows us to compare our YA sins. I'd definitely play, :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I thought about this when I was writing the post the other day - am seriously considering it, but I shirk my blogging responsibilities at the drop of a hat, so it's a bit scary, but I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this feature, Anna! I agree with Katja, I'd definitely join in! You could have different kinds of confessions each week like 'Books I've Never Read', 'Books I love that no one else does', 'Books that I hate that everyone else loves'... 'Inappropriate YA Crushes'.

    ;)

    But definitely readreadreadread the books. They're amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love the idea of a YA confessions, I'd consider doing that with you on a semi-regular basis.

    I think you should read the books after the movie. I do that all the time. But you're right, movies can be spoilt a lot by high expectations after reading the book. I figure if I watch the movie first, I'll enjoy it. Then read the book and enjoy it too. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get this month out of the way, I might think about doing a post every fortnight or so - I'll keep you posted, as it were :)

      Delete
  6. Nor have I! Thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not alone! I have it on my Kindle and will get around to it soon, I'm sure :)

      Delete